Monday, November 2, 2009

Unknown Fela: I Go Shout Plenty!




Here's another Fela rarity for your musical enjoyment: The Afrodisia disc I Go Shout Plenty!! (DWAPS 2251), released in 1986 but apparently recorded earlier. Like Perambulator, featured in my last post, I made this available to Uchenna Ikonne's With Comb and Razor blog a couple of years ago, and as it is no longer online, I'm making it available again.

According to Toshiya Endo, Side A ("I Go Shout Plenty") was recorded in 1977 as DWAPS 2038 but never released (the B Side was to be "Frustration of my Lady" or "Frustration," which later became the B Side of Perambulator).

Side B, "Why Black Man Dey Suffer," was also recorded in 1977 as the A Side of DWAPS 2036 (Side B was to be a song titled "Male," which I don't believe has ever been made public), but also not released. This is a different version of the tune of the same name that was released as African Songs AS001 (and recently reissued on CD) in 1971 (that version features Ginger Baker).

No personnel listed, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lester Bowie played on these tunes also. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if these tracks were recorded in the same set of sessions as "Perambulator" and "Frustration." These aren't really primo Fela tunes, and he is said not to have approved their release. I suspect that in 1986, however, shortly after the Black President was let out of prison, Afrodisia Records thought it could make a few Naira off of the attendant publicity and put them out.

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti & Afrika '70 - I Go Shout Plenty

Fela Anikulapo-Kuti & Afrika '70 - Why Black Man Dey Suffer

You can download I Go Shout Plenty!!! as a zipped file here. In my next post I'll be discussing Ginger Baker's LP Stratavarious, recorded with Fela in the early '70s.


5 comments:

ReeBee said...

many many thanks

Anonymous said...

from maghetto :
many many thanks
all lester bowie is welcome.
regards

Karla said...

Very nice posts about 'unknown Fela', I referred to you on my blog, look http://wereldmuziekavonturen.blogspot.com/2011/02/fela-complete-works-of-fela-anikulapo.html

Thanks
Karla

Eric said...

I know Art Ensemble of Chicago music very well and it definitely sounds like Lester Bowie on "Why Black Man Dey Suffer"

Bobby ce said...

Big man rasta 🤣🤣
I love the ogini koko ogini jeje 👍