Saturday, February 17, 2018

Return to Ihiagwa-Owerri



It's about time we returned to Ihiagwa, just outside of Owerri, capital of Imo State, Nigeria and home of the Obi Wuru Otu Dance Group, led by Madam Maria Anokwuru and featuring the stellar vocals of Rose Nzuruike!

On January 24, 2010 I posted their hit LP Nwanyi Ma Obi Diya (Onyeoma C.Y. Records CYLP 016, 1984), one of the biggest-selling Igbo records of all time. I've since found out more about the group and its star, Madam Nzuruike (thanks, internet!). A collective endeavor by all eight of the villages that comprise Ihiagwa township, the group was founded in 1979 as the Ndom Ihiagwa Dance Group. Mrs. Rose Nzuruike was selected from her village, Umuemeze. She initially demurred as her husband had recently passed away and she had young children to care for. However, she reconsidered when her late husband Remy came to her in a dream and urged her to perservere. She was then judged the best, and hence lead, singer of the group, a role she has fulfilled ever since.

I now present Ezi Nne (Onyeoma C.Y. Records CYLP 047), a further exploration of Igbo roots music, Owerri style!


The insistent beat of the udu (bass drum) leads off Side One and the song "Ezi Nne" ("Good Mother"). Mrs Nzuruike sings that there is no substitute for one's mother, whether she is good or bad, and the chorus joins in agreement. In the second song, "Onye Egbula Onwe Ya" ("Don't Kill Yourself") we are implored not to stress over money problems and so forth, we'll only get sick and it won't solve the problem:

Obi Wuru Otu Dance Group - Ezi Nne / Onye Egbula Onwe Ya

"Anala Nwa Ogbenye Ihe Ya" ("Do Not Take Advantage of the Poor and Weak") opens Side Two. "Jehovah, come help us. To sin is human. Please help us." The second song is "Enyere Ibe Nyem" ("When You Give to My Peers You Give to Me Also"):

Obi Wuru Otu Dance Group - Anala Nwa Ogbenye Ihe Ya / Enyere Ibe Nyem

By the way, Onyeoma C.Y. Records, which issued these two Obi Wuro Otu albums and at least one other, Aku Ebi Onwu (CYLP 028), was one of the more interesting smaller Nigerian labels, specializing in roots music like this as well as Ghanaian highlife bands resident in Nigeria. In 1995 I paid a visit to their office in Onitsha with the intention of perhaps licencing music for release in the US. No one was there, so I left a note under the door. Several months later I received a letter from the proprieter of the label, who was definitely interested! However, lacking the proper entreprenurial spirit, I suppose, I never pursued the idea. Oh, well!

Download Ezi Nne as a zipped file here. Many thanks as usual to my wife, Priscilla, for interpreting the lyrics. The website of Ihiagwa Township is a fascinating resource which was quite useful in researching this post.



12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I LOVE Obi Wuru and listen all the time to the album you posted back in the day. Thank you so much. Please more roots and 'cultural music'.

thank you again...

John B. said...

Thanks Anon. I intend to do just that!

LolaRadio said...

nice one! As always....
Thank you!

Matthew Lavoie said...

Hi John, Just got around to listening to this one this evening. Fantastic stuff. Thanks again. Love the Igbo roots music!!

Unknown said...

Really loved this song.my mum plays it,while I was growing up.but unfortunately I can't download from the file here.it did not come as music to my phone.pls help

Unknown said...

I tried again same thing.can you pls send it to my mail.I will download from there.bubesticko@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

ala ri nma ehh nyere umu uwa aka. ala ri nma eh ala ri nma nyere umu uwa aka. ala ri nma imo state nyere umu uwa aka ala ri nma anambra n imo ala ri nma eh. anyi choro ala ri nma.......

Unknown said...

Good job ..... Ihiagwa has released so many songs that I will like you to look for .... (1) Uwa (2) Aku ebi onwu (3) Iheoma osonga onye (4) Onye ge cha Ihe onu ekwu

Unknown said...

These brought back memories of my Grandma. Mma ke Ukwu Continue to Rest

Unknown said...

I'm still searching for them

Unknown said...

Please how can I get a copy of Aku Ebi Onwu.. that tracks calls my memory back

Anonymous said...

This brought the memories of my late mum. Continue to rest in peace dear mother. Your son is doing very well and you have 3 grandchildren now.